Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ty blames it on the full moon...

August 12

Woke up to a frigid morning, there was a touch of frost on our bags.  We all have 20 degree sleeping bags so we stayed warm overnight but in the morning was another story.  It was cold getting ready to go and we had pretty much all clothes on and that did the trick as we stayed warm as we started riding.  Rolled into Steamboat Springs, CO around lunch time and did some shopping and connecting with home.  Hit the road around 2 and we decided to do an alternate track instead of burning up the paved road.  Well, that turned out to be a very fun one but it wasn’t with out it’s problems.   The trail turned into a very rough and sometimes single track path.  We were totally fine with that but our luggage kept getting in the way with how we would have liked to ride.  Our first incident came when Tyler tried to go around a slight turn and dumped it.  Nothing was broke so he picked it up and did the same thing 20 ft later and then realized that his front tire was flat, which was why he kept laying it over.   Half hour later the tire was fixed and we were rolling, I mean bouncing, down the jeep trail.  I was in the lead and came to a stream crossing.  I’m not sure what I was thinking because normally I am a very conservative  rider and am not into do anything to risky.  But I apparently didn’t think this over as soon as I went in the water was up to my motor and I was bouncing over large rocks and dumped right in the stream.  So a clean bike and two water filled boots later I was across.   The reason I’m not sure what I was thinking is because just up stream there was a small bridge that we could have fit across, Duane and Ty did after I dumped it in the creek.  So we carried on as the sun was falling.  Our next incident was with some very sticky mud.  I came to a spot on the trail that had some potholes in, which were full of mud.  Worked my way threw them but Tyler wasn’t so lucky.  He sank his back wheel in a pothole and it took all three of us to get it out.  Here is what it looked like.

Well it was dark when we found pavement again and with my cold feet and last nights cold in the back of our minds we wussed out and decided to get another hotel for the night.  The closest hotel was in Rawlings, WY so we steamed up the road for fifty miles to Rawlings.  We got into our room about 10 p.m.

No comments: